What is a Mentor Coach and Do You Need One?
Athletes have coaches. Many entrepreneurs and professionals have mentors. They're really the same thing. A mentor coach is a coach for your growth. Most of us weren't formally taught how to grow successfully. A mentor coach can help you to figure out what you want to do with your life, set goals, and achieve them. They have experience in helping others to live fulfilling lives.
A mentor coach wears many hats:
- A mentor coach is a cheerleader. Life is easier when someone is in your corner. When you know you have support, it's easier to take risks and chase after big goals. You always have someone on your side when you have a coach. *Your coach will also push you. They've seen plenty of clients attempt to avoid hard work and stressful situations. They'll know when you're playing games and push you to succeed.
- A coach provides guidance. It's not always easy to make good decisions, especially when you're stressed or fearful. And let's face it, some folks just don't make good decisions, period. A coach can help you to make wise decisions. * A friend can't always be objective or completely honest, but your coach can. You'll hear what you need to hear from your coach.
- A coach helps you to determine what you want to be when you grow up. It doesn't matter if you're 18 or 68. A mentor can help you to determine what the next step of your life should be. If you're feeling lost, a coach might be the answer.
- A coach will help you to find balance. Coaches are aware that there's more to life than just money or a perfect classroom. They emphasize keeping things in balance. Health, professional success, relationships, finances, spirituality and leisure activities are all part of a well-balanced life.
- A coach is not a therapist. Therapists deal with past issues and traumas. Coaches work from the present moment and into the future. A mentor won't help you get over a past loss or deal with the fact that you were bullied in junior high. A coach can guide you toward building a more desirable future.
- A coach isn't required to have any training. There are organizations that certify coaches, mentors or trainers, but they aren't necessary to hang out a shingle and make a living in these areas. Be sure to vet anyone you're considering hiring. Since the barriers to entry are so low, there are plenty of coaches that aren't good at what they do. * Pay attention to reviews and schedule an introductory session to see if a particular coach is a good fit. Choose carefully.
Do you need a mentor coach? A mentor coach won't solve your challenges, but they can help you to help yourself. If you need a steady hand to guide you and a cheerleader to support you, a mentor coach can make a big difference. There are good mentor coaches and bad mentor coaches. If you're looking for a mentor coach, ensure that you find a good one.